WHAT TO DO
In Corinth, whatever your interests, there is a place for you.
EVENTS LISTING/CONTACT INFO | MUSEUMS/CULTURE | AGRITOURISM | GENEALOGY | RECREATION | SEARCH CALENDAR
MUSEUMS & CULTURE
Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center
A Unit of Shiloh National Military Park
501 W. Linden Street
Open 8:30-4:30 Daily except Christmas
No admission charge
For six months in 1862, Corinth, a critical railroad junction and second only to Richmond in military importance, captured the full attention of a divided nation. Today, one of the National Park Service’s newest visitor centers interprets the key role of Corinth, Mississippi, in the Civil War’s western theater.
The 15,000 sq. ft. facility features interactive exhibits, a multimedia presentation on the Battle of Shiloh, and a video on the Battle of Corinth. The center stands near the site of Battery Robinett, a Union fortification which was an important site of some of the bloody fighting during the October 1862 Battle of Corinth.
Visitors reach the center by ascending a walkway strewn with bronze replicas that reflect the aftermath of battle. At the building entrance, visitors pass six bronze Civil War soldiers marching into the center at the double-quick.
Full-scale reproductions of earthworks explain the importance of field fortifications. An extensive courtyard exhibit is home to a water feature commemorating one hundred years of American history. The interpretive center houses a seventy-five-seat auditorium, public research library, and a Civil War bookstore.
The Crossroads Museum
221 N. Fillmore Street
Tues.-Sat. 10:00-4:00, Sun. 1:00-4:00
$5/Adults, $3/Senior Citizens, Military & Students, Free/Children 16 and under
Serving as the hub of historical
information for the area, the Crossroads Museum invites visitors
to view its permanent exhibits dealing with Civil War, Railroad,
Aviation, Business/Industry and Pre-History/Archeology.
An extensive Coca-Cola collection and exhibit is included.
Spend time in the adjacent galleries which offer special rotating
exhibits. The Museum also offers a gift shop and the
Margaret Greene Rogers Research Library.
Black History Museum of Corinth
1109 Meigg Street
Thurs. - Fri. 10:00-4:00, Other Times by appointment
The museum features a vast permanent collection of pieces documenting Corinth and Alcorn County’s black history. Exhibits are supplemented with special short-term displays.
Collections include tributes to Corinth’s first black Mayor, Mayor E.S. Bishop; entertainers such as opera singer, Ruby Elzy; local and nationally known sports figures; African art and artifacts; and artifacts from local historically black churches and former segregated black schools.
Considerable effort has been made to provide the public with comprehensive and positive information and images of black Americans and their contributions they have made to society.
Verandah/Curlee House Museum
301 Childs Street
Temporarily closed for restoration. Tours by appointment.
Completed in the spring of 1857, the Verandah House was built for one of the two founders of Corinth, Hamilton Mask. The house is a significant example of Greek Revival architecture.
As a result of the crossroads of the two standard-gauge railroads in Corinth, the area became of prime importance to both the Union and Confederacy. On the evening of April 2, 1862, Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston met with Gen. Braxton Bragg in his bedchambers at the Verandah House to officially sign Order No. 8 to launch the Confederate counter offensive against the Union army that ended in the Battle of Shiloh, April 6-7, 1862.
Throughout the war, generals from both the Confederacy and the Union were quartered in this house. Following the war, the Corinth Female Academy occupied the house for a short period of time. It was then purchased by the William Peyton Curlee, one of the founders of the Curlee Clothing Company. After Mr. Curlee’s death of yellow fever, Mrs. Curlee, a descendent of Daniel Boone, sold the house to the Leroy Montgomery, who raised a large family in the home. In 1921, Shelby Hammond Curlee, oldest son of the previous Curlee owners, bought the house. The descendants of the Curlee family donated the house to the city in 1961.
Corinth National Cemetary
Horton Street between Cemetery and Young Streets
Open daily dawn to dusk
The final resting place for 1,793 known and 3,895 unknown soldiers representing 273 regiments from 15 states.
Located off Hwy 356 on
County Road 367
approximately 8 miles east of Rienzi
Tue.-Fri. & Sun. 1 p.m.-5 p.m.
Sat. 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sat. 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Sun. 1 p.m.-5 p.m.
established in 1836, served as the populous county seat of
Tishomingo County. Commissioned in 1852 and completed
in 1854, the courthouse emerged as an impressive example of
Federal Style architecture. The courthouse includes
a park area, walking rails, and RV hook-ups.
The Jacinto Courthouse
area recently recieved storm damage and is closed until further
Corinth Artist Guild Gallery
507 Cruise Street
662.665.0520 or 662.415.2688
No admission but donations are welcome
Open Tues.-Sat., 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
The Corinth Artist Guild Gallery has an outstanding collection of Southern regional art. A large variety of artists exhibit one-of-a-kind works that range from realism, impressionism, abstract art, sculptures, stained glass, jewelry, and other decorative arts.
Corinth Contraband Camp
902 North Parkway
Open dawn to dusk
Many African Americans who fled Southern plantations and farms seeking freedom and protection found the Union occupied Corinth to be a secure location. Union General Grenville Dodge understood what effect the defection of thousands of African Americans would have on the Confederate War effort. He began to enlist the escaped slaves who came into his lines as teamsters, cooks, and laborers. He actively recruited male refugees, armed them, and placed them in charge of security at the newly organized contraband camp in Corinth. Dodge’s refugee administrative efforts led to the formation of the 1st Alabama Infantry Regiment of African Descent, consisting of approximately 1,000 men.
Under the supervision of Chaplain James M. Alexander of the 66th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, the Corinth camp resembled a small town, complete with a church, commissary, hospital, both frame and log houses, and a street grid with named streets and numbered houses. An American Missionary Association School operated where eager students of all ages sought knowledge day and night.
Today, a portion of this camp has been set aside to commemorate the events which changed the lives of so many people. Bronze figures surround the trail through the camp depicting the lives of these people considered “contraband” of war.
The Coliseum Theatre
404-408 Taylor Street
View our website
Open for tours by appointment
Benjamin Franklin Liddon, a local banker and civic leader, designed and constructed the Coliseum Theater in 1924 with a capacity of 999 seats. The theater is a showplace of Victorian and Art Deco Design. Such elements as black and white tile, ornamental plaster on the ceilings, imported white marble wainscoting and a grand staircase warrant its inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places. It is also a Mississippi Landmark.
The Railroad Crossing
View from Trailhead Park located on West Waldron Street
This crossroads of two railroads, the Memphis & Charleston and the Mobile & Ohio, identified Corinth as a strategic location in the Western Theater during the Civil War. These were the only two major standard-gauge railroads in the Confederacy and prompted the Battle of Shiloh as well as the Battle of Corinth. Today the tracks are in the same beds and are in use.
Historic Downtown Corinth
Experience the heart of Corinth in its busy beautiful downtown. Here you will find unique specialty shops, business offices, restaurants, a regal courthouse, and the world’s friendliest people.
Three legendary businesses
are “must see” locations downtown. An Architectural
Tour Guide featuring homes in the Historic Residential District
and Historic Downtown Corinth is available at the CACVB office,
215 N. Fillmore Street and at other visitor locations.
Borroums Drug Store was founded in 1865 by former CSA army surgeon A.J. Borroum. It is the oldest drug store in continuous operation in Mississippi. It houses Native American artifact, Civil War relics, and an authentic, working soda fountain. This business has been owned and operated by the Borroum family since its founding.
Biggers Hardware opened its doors in 1918 and has been a mainstay in the community ever since. The store’s ownership is in the fourth generation of the Biggers family.
Waits Jewelry and Fine Gifts is the oldest business in Corinth dating from 1865. The store’s second generation of ownership was Earnest J. Waits, a true “renaissance man.” Not only was he a watchmaker and jeweler, but he constructed an “aeroplane” from plans in Popular Mechanics and its flights in Corinth were the first in Mississippi and probably in the Deep South. He built an early wireless telegraph, an X-ray machine, and painted beautiful seasonal murals in the building. A small area of the store is dedicated to him and his wife Eugenia, who was the last family member to own the store in 2004.
Lake Hills Motor Museum
2003 Hwy 72 E.
8-5 Mon.-Fri., 8-3 Sat.
Lake Hill Motors, one of America’s largest motorcycle/ATV dealerships, is home to a collection of antique classic and custom automobiles and motorcycles.
CIVIL WAR EARTHWORKS
Open dawn to dusk
summer of 1862, Union forces constructed two arcs
of batteries surrounding Corinth from the southeast to the
northwest. Still a pristine earthwork, Battery F was
overrun during the fierce fighting the first day of the Battle
501 W. Linden St
Open dawn to dusk
Battery Robinett was built by the Federal Army following the Siege of Corinth and was the site of fierce fighting October 4, 1862, during the 2nd day of the Battle of Corinth. The obelisk pays tribute to Col. William P. Rogers of the 2nd Texas Infantry who showed great bravery trying to climb the walls of the battery to claim it for the Confederacy. Four unknown Civil War soldiers are buried on this site.
This is the
site of one of the finest examples of Civil War fortifications
to be found. The Beauregard Line was composed of seven
miles of earthworks and rifle pits which spanned the east,
north, and west. perimeters of Corinth. Interpretive
panels located on each of the four observation platforms overlooking
portions of the Salient.
Hwy 2 & Polk Street
EVENTS/CONTACT INFO | MUSEUMS/CULTURE | AGRITOURISM | GENEALOGY | RECREATION | UPCOMING EVENTS