There are a lot of things you won’t want to miss when you visit Corinth, Mississippi, from history and the arts to shopping and events. Among them, the slug burger should be at the top of your list. Despite its name, slug burgers are a delicious variation on the classic hamburger with a unique twist. As you gather trip-planning tips and ideas for things to do from Visit Corinth, you’ll want to make time to enjoy one while you explore the Corinth food scene.
The History of Slug burgers
If the name slug burger brings to mind slimy creatures on a bun, don’t worry – the real story is far tastier. Back in 1917, Corinth resident John Weeks started selling burgers in a small moveable building that rolled along on bicycle wheels. To save money, he had his butchers extend his hamburger meat by grinding in potato flakes and flour. This combination is what started the slug burger phenomenon, though the recipe has shifted to include soybean grits instead of potato flour. The burgers, sometimes called doughburgers, are usually served with mustard, dill pickles, and onions on a small bun.
While there is no clear answer on how this delicacy came to be known as the slug burger, the most common story claims it was named after its original price. Back in the day, burgers were sold for a nickel, also known as a “slug.” Put the two together, and you get slug burgers – a delicious treat at a great price.
The Annual Slug burger Festival
Unlike some other historical traditions, interest in slug burgers hasn’t waned since the 1910s. Since 1988, the town of Corinth has celebrated its local culinary innovation with the annual Slug burger Festival. The festival has grown so popular that Trip Advisor named it one of America’s “Wackiest Summer Events,” and with good reason. Locals and visitors alike gather each summer during the second weekend of July to chow down on slug burgers and enjoy musical performances and other entertainment. Slug Voice, one of the most popular festival events, sees locals compete to determine the area’s best singer. Throughout the weekend, attendees also enjoy a carnival and the Miss Slug burger competition, where a queen is crowned in honor of this quintessential Corinth food.
Where to Find Slug burgers
Thanks to their long history and enduring popularity, you’ll find slug burgers at plenty of Corinth eateries. As you plan your Corinth food itinerary, be sure to check out a few of these destinations:
- Borroum’s Drug Store: Mississippi’s oldest operating drug store helps bring you back to the days after slug burgers were first served with a throwback style.
- Slug burger Café: As the name implies, this restaurant is known for its slug burgers. They also serve breakfast, sandwiches, fries, and homemade desserts.
- White Trolley Café: Grab a stool at this retro café’s counter to enjoy a delectable slug burger and other treats.
To learn more about dining in Corinth, explore some of the area’s best restaurants where you can sample slug burgers, BBQ, tamales, classic comfort foods, and more.
A Meal with History
Slug burgers are just one of the many things that make Corinth unique, and you won’t want to end your visit without trying one. If you’re planning a trip to Corinth, learn more about shopping, entertainment, events, and more to enjoy all the area has to offer. For more information, contact Visit Corinth online, call 662-287-8300, or stop by the Corinth Area Convention and Visitors Bureau at 215 N Fillmore St.
Slugburgers are Famous!
See What People Have to Say:
- How I Fell in Love with the Slugburger, via Explore Parts Unknown
- Corinth, Miss.: The slugburger capital of the world, via The Boston Globe
- The Slugburger Trail: 20 places you can find this regional treat in AL, TN and MS, via al.com
- Slugburger Festival in Corinth, MS, via mixedbagmediatv
- I Ate a Slugburger! via Rachael Padilla
- THE WORLD SLUGBURGER EATING CHAMPIONSHIP PRESENTED BY MAIN STREET CORINTH, via majorleagueeating.com